Punarnavadi Kashayam is a very famous Ayurvedic medicine in liquid form. It is beneficial in liver disorders like hepatitis, joint inflammation due to gout and bronchitis. It can also treat cases of edema due to liver disorders, heart diseases, fever, cough, and asthma. It contains turmeric as an extra ingredient.
Similar Names: Punarnavashtaka kashaya, Punarnavashtak kwath.
- Swellings all over the body, Ascites.
- Bronchial complaints, abdominal pain and Anaemia.
Punarnavadi Kashayam Ingredients:
Punarnava – Boerhaavia diffusa
Daru – Cedrus deodara
Nisha – Turmeric
Tikta – Andrographis paniculata
Patola – Luffa acutangula
Pathya – Terminalia chebula
Pichumarda – Neem
Musta – Cyperus rotundus
Nagara – Ginger
This mixture is added to 8 parts of water, boiled and reduced to quarter part and filtered.
Punarnavadi Kashayam Benefits:
This medicine as a natural diuretic and used in the treatment of inflammatory conditions like myxedema, ascites, anasarca, arthritis and liver disorders.
It is also used in the treatment of respiratory conditions like cold, cough, bronchitis and dyspnea, anemia, uremia and abdominal pain etc.
Punarnavadi Kashayam Dosage:
The dosage is 12 – 24 ml, before food, at about 6 – 7am and 6 – 7 pm or as directed by an Ayurvedic doctor.
It is usually advised to add an equal amount of water to the kashaya. Cow Urine is usually prescribed as a co-prescription along with this medicine. It is also available in tablet form.
Dietary Supplements to be Consumed or Avoided
- Generally non-vegetarian, leafy preparations, snacks made of gingelly, curd, alcohol, too much of salt, tamarind and food items not usually taken and difficult to digest.
- Daytime sleep, sex, and cold water must be totally avoided.
- Bath in water boiled with Kokilaksha (Hygrophila auriculata) cooled for the head and warm for the body, using Panchamla tailam or Punarnavadi thailam.
- Don’t bath daily.
- Butter milk boiled with Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa) is good for drinking and is to be taken with rice.
Virechana gritham, Loha bhasma and powdered Katukarohini.
Punarnavadi Kashayam Side Effects:
There are no known side effects with this medicine. But it is best to use this under strict medical supervision.
Special care and precaution are required while administering this medicine to people having diabetes because it may lower the blood sugar levels. However, it has a diuretic action which increases the urine frequency.